Friday, June 4, 2010

The Adventures of a Malasian Wanna-Be Cook

Dear great Cooks of the World:

Today, nothing that I could think of to prepare sounded even remotely tasty... I made potato salad ....Dad's favorite.... it tasted like Malaysia. I made waffles... Again...Malaysia.... Cereal? Been over that for 300 mornings plus!

So I looked at the fridge and cupboards and pondered. I had bananas. I love bananas. Maybe banana bread?

I began, in the steamy heat, (wishing that I could cook in the nude)

Flour? check
Sugar? check
Eggs ? check
Bananas? check

Then the trouble began: When is baking powder not baking soda? And cream cheese not oil?, And sour cream not butter?, And yogurt not sour cream?, And skim milk not cream?... And banana bread no longer banana bread?

Because, I had to make substitutions for the substitutions. Not butter, no oil, no baking soda, no sour cream,... Why was I cooking? You remember: Chop Chicken had limped away and died!

So, cream cheese for butter; but not enough cream cheese, so add leftover sour cream, which was not real sour cream, but milk, doctored with lemon. Then baking powder for soda, and applesauce for oil, but I had no applesauce, so, yogurt for applesauce, but not enough yogurt, so add more skim milk....

And last of all: Chocolate kisses (from Easter 2009) for chips! Dump it all in a pan...
Try to guess what temperature to bake it using a small counter oven using celsius instead of farenheit....

Results still pending....

No comments:

Post a Comment