Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Very Burned Chocolate Cake

I was asked to teach the Relief Society sisters how to make a cake...  "What kind?" I asked.  "Oh, Chocolate!"  "OK" I say.  We make a very very chocolate cake!  So I go home and survey my options and ingredients:  flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, I think.  Baking powder, maybe.  Buttermilk, no.  Eggs, yes.  And so I began testing out some possible recipes.  After a few trial runs, I finally came up with one that I liked the results, substituting a combination of yogurt, cream, and lemon juice for buttermilk.  (The elders got several servings of cake and served as the taste testers.)

Day of the demonstration:  7 sisters, 17 children.  Quickly divide my ingredients for "half cakes" and cupcakes.  Put cakes in oven.  Smoke!  Billowing from oven!  Open oven.  Se a very very burned cake.  Try 3 cakes.  Sisters can't wait to ice cake.  Warm cake.  Hot kitchen.  Warm icing.  Ice anyway!  Sisters like chocolate cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment