Monday, July 6, 2009

Games Children Play: Batu Seremban


These two children live in "flats" close to the church.  There is no place to play there, so the minute we come to the church they come over to play in the chapel.  They are there ever Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday night until we lock the doors at about 10:00 pm.


The game is played with little rocks.  It is called Batu Seremban.


The children play it to learn counting and adding.


It is a bit like jacks, only no ball.


I sat down and played with them, because I used to love jacks.  Wait!  This is not so easy!


Beatrice:  The cutest little girl in Malaysia!  She is so so darling.  She is 11.  She wanted to take piano, but simply doesn't know enough English yet to understand the concepts.


Her brother, Nyankai -- a tease and an imp!  I often have a wrapped candy in my bag for them, so tonight, Nyankai brought me a gift:  a very battered, yellow, plastic folder, and a cough drop.


They learn to sit like this from infancy and still do when they are grandmas!


When they don't play this game, they ask for a balloon out of the closet to blow up and make up all kinds of games with it.


They were so pleased that I would get on the floor and play with them.  They laughed and laughed because I dropped the rocks so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment