Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Julie's Garden

I have felt that one of the greatest sacrifices that I have made to come to Borneo was to leave behind my beautiful gardens.  I have so missed the care and nourishing of them and taking joy in their beautiful blooms.


Today as I studied the scriptures, I realized that there are many exotic blooms in Borneo, and I am privileged to be a gardener HERE, in a garden unimagined before.




The location of my garden was a surprise to me.  How was I going to grow blooms here?

But the soil was fertile, and deceivingly prepared before I came...

The blossoms came quickly, though fragile and delicate...


They responded to every effort...

I was overjoyed at the continual surprises...

They burst with refinement and detail.

Each new piece of soil sent forth more shoots.

The possibilities multiplied...

The garden grew...

I found that I was surrounded with fresh blossoms!

Some exquisitely rare.


The garden expanded...


Some plants were scarce, almost extinct, but were replanted and saved...


Others multiplied with strong seed.


Some were hybrid, new varieties, rejoiced over as they were so precious.


All were appreciated and given a spot to be seen and loved.


The Gardener found new joy -- flowers unimagined, a garden unique to her.


Each new flower seeming more choice than the last.


How could I possibly choose my favorites?


Sambun has a special place in the garden.


A convert of 3 weeks, she is so happy.


Those with special knowledge are often called in.


Arzoo popped up!  So small!  So colorful!  So delightful!  He always has a huge smile and a handshake and does it a dozen times while he is around you!


Sambun:  Warm, lovely, full of love.


Sambun's granddaughter:  We hope she will flourish.


The possibililities have become endless and ever more delightful and looked forward to.

Adie:  A big, colorful blossom who envelopes me in a giant hug each time I come...


Her husband, Rawing.  These two could be the PR committee for the church!


Anthony's grandparents


Anthony:  An absolute treasure!  A convert of 2 months.  He is 15.  He goes out with the missionaries almost everyday to demystify the maze in the Kampung.  He fixes their bikes.  He is at every baptism.  He is a new piano student.  I love him.  These varieties are astonishing!

Anthony's grandmother to my left.  He was so thrilled to have her baptized and to introduce her to me!


So the Gardener is still at work.  She comes home to soak her feet and her shoes...  in Clorox!


Today, while studying, this scripture startled and blessed me, "VERILY, I SAY UNTO YOU, ALL AMONG THEM WHO...ARE WILLING TO OBSERVE THEIR COVENANTS BY SACRIFICE..."


...THEY ARE ACCEPTED OF ME."


"FOR I WILL CAUSE THEM TO BRING FORTH AS A VERY FRUITFUL TREE WHICH IS PLANTED IN A GOODLY LAND, BY A PURE STREAM, THAT YIELDETH PRECIOUS FRUIT."  D&C 97:8-9

Could I have a more beautiful garden?  What more joy can the Gardener feel?


No comments:

Post a Comment